Thursday 6 September 2012

I. AM. A. HOUSEWIFE!


In the last municipal election (or was it the one before? When you get old, you lose track of the timing of events), I was assigned to cover the campaign in a series of columns. In a piece introducing the candidates, I referred to Cindy Jefferies as a "housewife." At the time, she was indeed "at home" and I was grasping at the old paradigm of defining people by their work and careers.

Well, all heck and dang-nation ensued. How dare I? Of course, the critics were right. It's not right to characterize people by their careers -- although it is much easier now to refer to Cindy Jefferies as a city councillor who I happen to very much admire.

Karma has a way of being circular, and I can no longer define myself by an active career. By my own previous definition, I am now a "housewife." My wife Joyce brings home the bacon, and I fry it up and serve it when she gets home. I cook, I clean, I put up jam and pickles. I do the "small" shopping, since Joyce does not fully trust me to do the "big" shopping myself. It's her money, after all, and I can be distractible. She also insists on doing the laundry, despite my protests that as a former professional photographer, I know to separate black and white clothes into one pile, and colour clothes into another. 

I keep a list of things that need to be done, in case I forget and have an afternoon nap.

But most days now, the home is my responsibility. Keeping house does indeed fill your days. I find that although I am on my feet and moving around far more now than when I was "working," I have less time for real exercise. At least I used to ride my bike to work. So I am grateful to the Primary Care Network for their ongoing Trek program. 

Which reminds me: I need to get my Wikki Walkers team registered. Better put that on the list. You should join, too. Go to http://stepsout.com/rdpcn/ and sign up for a virtual hike of the Rocky Mountains.

This week, our church's ladies Bible study group met at our house. Apparently, there's a rotation. So the house (well, the main floor and bathrooms anyway) were clean. There was a nicely-appointed fruit and cheese tray, and a dessert. There was be coffee, tea -- even homemade beer, if anyone asked for it. 

I looked forward to the accomplishment of doing it right. A self-grade: dusting was a bit insufficient, I forgot to put fresh towels in the main bathroom, and I messed up the alternate dessert: almond butter squares. But the rest was good. Make it a B, and leave room for improvement.

From now on, if I'm asked to fill out some survey form or other, and there's a box where you list your occupation, I'm writing in "housewife." After all, anyone could just say "blogger."

Greg Neiman is a former editor of the Red Deer Advocate. Please comment below, or email greg.neiman.blog.gmailcom

2 comments:

  1. I want pictures! Maybe wearing an apron? Holding a toilet brush?

    Seriously, I know that you did some of this when you both were working. My husband made the same transition a few years back when I was working full time and he stayed home. Maybe you two could start a support group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures, great idea! Perhaps one of me mixing my secret formula for cheap bathroom cleaning spray! I'm no Mary Stewart, but there's a household tip or two in my bag of ideas. Just gathered up a few pears off a local tree that has excellent fruit, but the owner never seems to harvest them, just lets them fall in a back alley to rot. They have a really intense pear taste, and I'm thinking jam, and a small batch of schnapps.

    ReplyDelete